Launched by the Emperor Napoleon 1st, the project began in 1809 and ended in 1841.
Many barges used to travel along its 260 km length carrying grain, fodder, wood for heating and iron ore . It was heavily used from 1860 to 1915 before being decommissioned in 1955.
The Pillivuyt porcelain company which is located along the Berry Canal, long used the river and canal network to deliver raw materials to its factory.
To spend a pleasant moment with family and friends, a picnic area with tables and benches is available along the Berry Canal.