In the thirteenth century Mehun-sur-Yèvre experienced a profound transformation since the fortification wall surrounding the castle and church built in the early Middle Ages collapsed, allowing the city to expand.
A second walled enclosure was built, giving access to the city by two separate gates called the "Barbarine gate" and " Bourges gate". Only the latter remains today and is known as the "Clock Gate" which is today the most beautiful vestige of the old city.
It was built in 1396, at the request of Duke Jean de Berry. Three successive arches were built and the construction boasted the latest military innovations of its time.